CARBONDALE, TEXAS. Carbondale is on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway ten miles south of Boston in southern Bowie County. It was named for the coal deposits in the area. A post office was established there in 1907 and remained open into the 1950s. In 1925 the reported population was thirty-five. In 1982 the town had thirty residents and no rated businesses. Through 2000 the population was still thirty.
J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book (n.d.).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CARBONDALE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc10), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.