CHURCH HILL, TX
CHURCH HILL, TEXAS. Church Hill is nine miles northeast of Henderson in eastern Rusk County. The site was settled in the early 1850s by families from Georgia and was named for a tree-covered hill where they built a church. Plantations were established in the area. The first brick house in the county was reportedly built at Church Hill by a Dr. Prior, a planter from Virginia. The Church Hill Male and Female Academy operated in the 1850s under the auspices of the Presbyterian church. A post office was established in 1893 with George S. Strong as postmaster. In 1895 Church Hill had a population of thirty, a Methodist church, and a general store. The post office was discontinued in 1904, and mail was sent to Henderson. From 1932 to 1966 the reported population was thirty; it was fifteen from 1967 to 1990 and twenty in 2000.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "CHURCH HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc57), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.