CLIMAX, TX (COLLIN COUNTY)
CLIMAX, TEXAS (Collin County). Climax is at the intersection of Farm roads 1377 and 2756, five miles east of McKinney in central Collin County. It was first settled by William Warden, a farmer who moved to Texas from Missouri in 1844. In 1850 Warden received a Peters' Colony land certificate for 640 acres near the East Fork of the Trinity River. He settled there with his family shortly thereafter. By the mid-1890s the community had two gins, a grain elevator, a school, a church, a hotel, and a general store. A post office was established in 1895. Six years later mail service was discontinued and rerouted to Farmersville. Climax has served as a retail point for area farmers for most of its history. Its population was estimated at forty from 1940 through 2000.
Seymour V. Connor, The Peters Colony of Texas: A History and Biographical Sketches of the Early Settlers (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1959). Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CLIMAX, TX (COLLIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc75), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on July 27, 2015. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.