COLTON, TEXAS. Colton, seven miles southeast of Austin in Travis County, was established by the McKenzie family about 1866. The community was first called Cotton, in reference to the area's staple crop, but its name was changed to Colton when the local post office opened in 1897. At that time Colton had a small store and ten to fifteen residents. Its post office was discontinued in 1902, and its mail was sent to Creedmoor. Colton had twenty-five residents in 1933 and fifty in 1939; its population was still reported as fifty in 2000.
Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).