CONCORD, TX (LEON COUNTY)
CONCORD, TEXAS (Leon County). Concord is on the Burlington Northern Railroad, State Highway 7, and Farm Road 39, some ten miles northwest of Centerville and eight miles south of Jewett in western Leon County. A community was established at the site between 1856 and 1893, though a Concord Baptist Church and a Concord Cemetery were at the site before a community developed there. The name was probably for the hometown of the community's first settlers, who were from Concord, Massachusetts. The local post office operated from 1884 until 1904 and was located at the crossroads between Concord and Robbin. After 1904 mail was routed to Jewett. After the construction of the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway through the area in 1908, the post office was reestablished in 1909. In 1956 the post office building was destroyed by fire, and the office was moved to the Concord school building where it was still housed in 1990. After the arrival of the railroad, Concord's population grew to 175, served by a variety of businesses. The community's Methodist church was built in 1915 and was still active in 1990. Concord had schools for white and black students, and the combined enrollment in 1939 was 581. In 1940 Concord had a population of 280, a church, a school, and a central business district with at least seven businesses, including a factory. In 1948 the community had a store, a garage, a post office, and a barbershop; that year its schools were consolidated with the Centerville schools. In the early 1950s Concord's major companies, the Texas Pipe Line Company and the Magnolia Pipe Line Company, closed and transferred their employees. In 1990 Concord had the post office and a senior citizens center (both located in the school building), as well as two churches and a cemetery. That year the community had twenty-eight residents. The population remained the same in 2000.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).