DEWEES, TX (WILSON COUNTY)
DEWEES, TEXAS (Wilson County). Dewees, at the junction of Farm roads 541 and 1344, eight miles south of Floresville in southwestern Wilson County, was named for Thomas DeWees, who settled in the area about 1870. A post office operated there from 1906 to 1911. In the mid-1930s the community had a store, a mill, and a school. As late as the 1960s a store, a gin, and a cemetery still remained. Subsequently, the businesses all closed, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained. The population was thirty-five in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "DEWEES, TX (WILSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd17), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.