DIXIE, TX (GRAYSON COUNTY)
DIXIE, TEXAS (Grayson County). Dixie is on U.S. Highway 377 sixteen miles northwest of Sherman in west central Grayson County. The community developed shortly after the Civil War, when a group of Confederate veterans settled at the site and called it Theodore. It soon became a community center for area farmers. By 1886 the name had been changed to Dixie, and the community had acquired a post office, which it retained until 1902. In 1908 the settlement had three churches, a store, a gin, and a school. The school was consolidated with the Whitesboro district in the 1940s. A blacksmith shop continued in operation until about 1965. In the late 1970s the Missionary Baptist and Primitive Baptist churches were still active in Dixie, which reported a population of fifty in 1933 and twenty-five from 1936 through 1990. In 2000 the population was seventeen.
Twentieth Century Plat Book of Grayson County (St. Joseph, Missouri: Jackson Map, 1908).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "DIXIE, TX (GRAYSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd28), accessed July 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.