DRYER, TEXAS. Dryer (Dreyer), on Farm Road 443 in eastern Gonzales County, was named for Henry Dryer, one of a group of investors who in 1891 bought 6,568 acres from L. M. Kokernot and divided it into small farm lots. Dryer acquired a post office in 1897, but it closed in 1906. By 1936 the community had three businesses, two churches, and a school and was surrounded by scattered farms. In 1940 the settlement had 100 inhabitants and five businesses. Thereafter, it saw a period of sharp decline; by 1968 the population was forty. In 1988 and 1990 the community had twenty residents, two businesses, and a church.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "DRYER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd47), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.