EGAN, TEXAS. Egan is at the intersection of Farm roads 2280 and 917, eight miles northeast of Cleburne in north central Johnson County. The area was settled by M. J., J. P., and W. E. Miller during the Civil War. A townsite was surveyed in 1883, when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad extended its tracks through the area. A surveyor gave Egan its name. A post office began service there in 1883, and within two years the settlement had a population of fifty, a store, a school, and two churches. A winery operated in Egan during the early twentieth century, but was closed down during prohibition. The community had a population of 115 by the mid-1920s. Egan's post office closed sometime after 1930, and the population fell to fifty by the late 1940s. This estimate was reported consistently through the mid-1960s. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was twenty-one.
Viola Block, History of Johnson County and Surrounding Areas (Waco: Texian Press, 1970). Johnson County History Book Committee, History of Johnson County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "EGAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne07), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.