ESPERANZA, TX (HUDSPETH COUNTY)
ESPERANZA, TEXAS (Hudspeth County). Esperanza is near the Rio Grande on Farm Road 192, twenty-one miles southwest of Sierra Blanca in southwestern Hudspeth County. It was founded before 1935, when a post office was established there with Mrs. Bessie Greene McCoy as postmaster. The estimated population of Esperanza doubled from fifty in the late 1930s to 100 in the mid-1940s. It was 100 for two decades and then, by the late 1960s, dropped to seventy-five, where it remained through 2000. In the late 1980s Esperanza had scattered dwellings and a school. The town's name, which means "hope" in Spanish, was the name of a local farm.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "ESPERANZA, TX (HUDSPETH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hne25), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.