GOODLAND, TX (BAILEY COUNTY)
GOODLAND, TEXAS (Bailey County). Goodland, on Farm Road 54 in southern Bailey County, was founded in 1924 after the McKeloey brothers of Fort Worth sold their ranch. The name expressed the promotional hopes of the settlers. Ranching was the area's main industry, although more recently farming of sunflowers, wheat, sorghum, grain, and cotton became significant. In 1940 the town had three stores and fifty residents. The population was sixty-five in 1980, when the community had a post office, a store, a cotton gin, and a grain elevator. In 1990 twenty-five people lived in Goodland. By 2000 the population was ten.
Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "GOODLAND, TX (BAILEY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hng20), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.