GUM SPRINGS, TX (CASS COUNTY)
GUM SPRINGS, TEXAS (Cass County). Gum Springs is a small rural community located on State Highway 8 about nine miles north of Linden in north central Cass County. Settlement occurred in the area as early as 1850 because of the abundance of natural springs. These flowing springs and the many gum trees in the region inspired the town's name. The village served local farmers and in the 1930s had two churches, an African-American school, and many farms. By the 1980s a church and cemetery remained in the area, but no population figures were available until 2000 when Gum Springs had fifty residents.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "GUM SPRINGS, TX (CASS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hng43), accessed July 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.