HALFWAY, TEXAS. Halfway is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 70 and Farm Road 179, fourteen miles west of Plainview in northwest Hale County. It developed as a community in 1909 when a school was established. The name signifies its location between the county seats of Plainview and Olton. A post office operated in Halfway from 1910 to 1914. In 1945 the community had a school, two churches, a cotton gin, and a population of twenty-five. The school closed in 1952, and the building is now used as a community center. The High Plains Research Center of the High Plains Research Foundation was built on school land. In 1980 Halfway had a gin, an agricultural equipment plant, churches, several businesses, and a population of seventy. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was fifty-eight.
Vera D. Wofford, ed., Hale County Facts and Folklore (Lubbock, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "HALFWAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh04), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles