HODGES, TEXAS. Hodges, on Farm Road 605 between Bitter and Mulberry creeks in south central Jones County, was settled by Alexander Stephens Hodges, a Georgia native, and rancher W. L. Harris in 1885. The community was bypassed by the railroad and by major highways. In 1940 Hodges had two stores and twenty-five residents, and in 1978 it had a gin and a store. Its population was reported as thirty-one in 1980 and as 250 in 1990. The population dropped to 150 in 2000.
Hooper Shelton and Homer Hutto, The First 100 Years of Jones County (Stamford, Texas: Shelton, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HODGES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh35), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.