HOWARD, TX (ELLIS COUNTY)
HOWARD, TEXAS (Ellis County). Howard is on Farm Road 984 four miles south of Lake Waxahachie in southeastern Ellis County. Settlement of the community may have occurred in the late 1880s. Postal service began in 1896, and ten years later the post office closed. Throughout its history, Howard has served area farmers as a school and church community. Its population reached 100 in the early 1930s, when it had one to three businesses. For the next thirty years the population changed little. Beginning in the mid-1960s, however, the number of residents dropped abruptly to twenty. In 1990 Howard had an estimated twenty-six residents.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "HOWARD, TX (ELLIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh43), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.