HOWELLVILLE, TEXAS. Howellville, south of Brays Bayou near the Fort Bend county line and ten miles southwest of Houston in southwestern Harris County, began as a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. It was named for T. E. Howell, owner of the townsite. A post office operated there from 1920 until 1934. With the assistance of an area drainage program, the land supported dairying and some farming of corn and rice. Howellville reported as many as two stores and a population of thirty-six from the 1920s to the 1990s.
Houston Metropolitan Research Center Files, Houston Public Library.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "HOWELLVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh44), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.