HUFFMAN, TEXAS. Huffman is on Farm roads 2100 and 1960, thirty miles northeast of Houston in the piney woods of eastern Harris County. The site was first settled in 1839 by David Huffman. A post office was established at the community in 1888, and two blacksmith shops were operating there by 1892. The Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway came through the community in the early 1900s. In 1905 Huffman had two one-teacher schools, one with eleven black students and the other with thirty-seven white. By 1914 the town reported two general stores and a population of 250. The local school district covered fifty-eight square miles, but as late as 1961 offered only elementary education facilities. The 1936 county highway map showed a church and cemetery at the townsite. Huffman's population was reported as fifty from the 1940s through the early 1990s. Among the structures remaining at or near Huffman in the 1980s were a church, an abandoned railroad station, and two schools, including the Huffman School at the nearby Lakewood Heights development. Huffman reported some 36 businesses in 1990. By 2000 the population reached 250 with 192 businesses.
Barney Harold Scott, An Administrative Survey and Proposed Plan of Reorganization of Schools in Eastern Harris County, Texas (M.Ed. Thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "HUFFMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh49), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.