HYLTON, TEXAS. Hylton, on Farm Road 1170 nine miles northeast of Blackwell in southeast Nolan County, was established in 1886 and named for early settler E. Hylton, who became the first postmaster that same year. The growth in 1906 of nearby Blackwell, which had railroad service, hindered development at Hylton. At that time Hylton had two saloons, a gin, other businesses, and an estimated population of 500. Pioneers included the Waggonners, Dr. Henry Porter, the Robertsons, and Lille Franks, who started Fish Creek School near Hylton in 1899. In 1945 the population was 187. The store and post office were closed in 1964. The population was twenty-eight in 1980 and 1990. By 2000 the population was listed as six.
E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "HYLTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh53), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.