ISLA, TEXAS. Isla is at the junction of State Highway 87 and Farm Road 276, eleven miles north of Hemphill in northeastern Sabine County. A post office was established there in 1896, and in 1914 the community had two stores. During the mid-1930s Isla had an estimated population of twenty-five and three rated businesses. By 1939 the post office had closed, and by 1947 only one business remained. From 1968 to 1990 the population of Isla was estimated at twenty-nine, and the settlement had no rated businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "ISLA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hni10), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.