KARON, TEXAS. Karon is a church community a mile east of the Karon gas field on Farm Road 1358, a mile east of the old Votaw community, eleven miles east of Three Rivers, and fourteen miles northeast of George West, the county seat, in east central Live Oak County. The community was named for Ralph Caron, the assistant postmaster and a local merchant; the spelling was changed to avoid confusion with an existing post office. The post office served the community from 1923 until 1939. In 1923 a cotton gin was built in Karon. Throughout the 1930s the town reported ten residents and one business. In 1940 Karon had a population of twenty, with one business. Karon was identified on the 1948 county highway map as a school community with scattered dwellings. In 1966 twenty people remained in the town, but there were no businesses. In the late 1980s Karon was a church community with one business and twenty residents. By 2000 the population was reported as twenty-five.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Hal Long, "KARON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnk02), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.