KELLERVILLE, TEXAS. Kellerville, on Farm roads 1443 and 2473, near the Gray county line in western Wheeler County, began in the late 1920s as a result of the discovery of oil near Shamrock. A post office was established in 1935 with Mrs. Frankie Buford as postmistress. An influx of oil money resulted in the founding of a school district and the construction of a modern building, which for a time had six teachers. In 1940 three businesses, three churches, and a population of 150 were reported. In January 1949 the Baptist church burned, and the people rebuilt it in seven months. Since that time improved transportation and an economic recession caused a population decrease. In 1984 Kellerville reported 107 residents, the church, a store, a post office, and a service station. In 1990 the population was fifty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Sallie B. Harris, comp., Hide Town in the Texas Panhandle: 100 Years in Wheeler County and Panhandle of Texas (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1968). Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). William Coy Perkins, A History of Wheeler County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "KELLERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnk04), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.