MCLEOD, TEXAS. McLeod is in the Rodessa oilfield on Farm Road 125 thirteen miles southeast of Atlanta in southeastern Cass County. It was a sparsely settled farming community referred to locally as Good Exchange until the mid-1930s, when the area was developed into the oilfield. A post office was established in May 1937, and by 1939 McLeod had a consolidated school, nine businesses, and two churches. In 1945 the community had a population of 150. The population began to decline in the early 1960s and had fallen to fifty by 1970, when the town had three rated businesses. From 1974 through 1990 it was reported as fifty, and in 1986 the town had one rated business. The population grew to 230 in 2000.
Atlanta (Texas) Citizens Journal, 60th Anniversary Edition, 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MCLEOD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm26), accessed July 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.