MICO, TEXAS. Mico is a fishing resort on County Road 271 just east of the main dam at Medina Lake in northeastern Medina County. The name Mico comes from the acronym for the Medina Irrigation Company. The community's post office was established as Mico in 1911, changed its name to Medina Lake in 1916, and was renamed Mico in 1923. It closed permanently in 1967, and local mail was routed through Castroville. Mico was a terminus for freight shipped on the Southern Pacific to Dunlay for the construction of Medina Dam in 1912. An elementary school was established in 1922 or 1923 as the Mico and Cliff District. It was consolidated with the Castroville School District. In 1931 Mico had an estimated ten businesses and a population of 200, and in 1965 it had four businesses and a population of 350. By 1975 its population was ninety-eight, and the town reported only one business. Mico in 1987 comprised numerous dwellings by Medina Lake on County Road 471 near its intersection with Farm Road 1283. In late 1989 local general stores, boat marinas, and pool halls continued to cater to lake enthusiasts, and in 2000 the community's population was still estimated at ninety-eight.
Castro Colonies Heritage Association, The History of Medina County, Texas (Dallas: National Share Graphics, 1983). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "MICO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm36), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on January 2, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles