MOUNTAIN HOME, TX
MOUNTAIN HOME, TEXAS. Mountain Home, at the intersection of State Highway 27 (which runs here along the Old Spanish Trail) and State Highway 41 in north central Kerr County, was settled about 1856. The post office was established and named by H. Louis Nelson in 1879. The previous year four children of the Dowdy family, early settlers, had been killed here in the last Indian raid in Kerr County. The town was called Eura for a brief period in the early twentieth century. It had a population of 150 in 1946. In 1983 sixty people lived within a one-mile radius of the post office, which served 350 families. The community had a store, a motel, and a church. Ranching has always been the principal business. Mountain Home is the location of the Texas Fisheries Research Station, the Texas Catholic Boys Camp, and the Hill Country Cowboy Camp Meeting. In 2000 the population was ninety-six.
Bob Bennett, Kerr County, Texas, 1856–1956 (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956; bicentennial ed., rev. by Clara Watkins: Kerr County, Texas, 1856–1976, Kerrville, Texas: Hill Country Preservation Society, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Herbert E. Oehler, "MOUNTAIN HOME, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm68), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.