MUELLERSVILLE, TEXAS. Muellersville is on Farm Road 109 six miles southwest of Brenham in southern Washington County. It had a post office by 1849 and a small country store owned by William Mueller in the early 1900s. German immigrants pioneered the rich farming area in the 1870s. The post office was named for Mueller, who was born in Washington County of German immigrant parents in 1870 and died in 1911. He was married to Lydia Hueske in December 1893. The baptism of their son records the infant's birthplace as "Muellersville, in the home of Frederick Hueske."
Even though the post office was discontinued in 1905, the community continued to grow. Earlier a cotton gin, mill, and small store were located in the vicinity, on the F. W. Rosenbaum farm. The business operation was discontinued after Rosenbaum's death. In 1922 a group of farmers in that area of the county and a number from the Welcome-Blieblerville areas of Austin County organized the Farmers Union Co-Operative Gin Company on land purchased from the Rosenbaum farm.
The cotton gin was financed by shares of stock held by the company and was known as the Farmers Co-Op Gin of Muellersville, Texas. Several souvenir pencils in existence are imprinted, "Farmers Union Co-Operative Gin Company, Albert J. Lehmann, Manager, Muellersville, Texas." The operation of the gin was governed by elected officers and an elected board of stockholders. The first manager, Edward Sommerfeld, was followed by Albert J. Lehmann (1883–1958) in the 1930s. Lehmann also served as secretary-treasurer from the time of organization to his death. The gin was discontinued in the 1960s, as the farming of cotton declined and farmers in the area resorted to cattle raising for a livelihood. In 1933 the population of Muellersville was twenty-five. By 1950 the town had forty residents and two businesses. Nearby Brenham, however, became the trade center for Muellersville residents. Through 2000 the population was of Muellersville was still forty. The site was marked by a building that formerly served as the general store and service station.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Elizabeth Lehmann, "MUELLERSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm70), accessed February 10, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles