OLIN, TEXAS. Olin is located ten miles south of Hico at the intersection of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm Road 219 twelve miles north of Hamilton, the county seat, in northern Hamilton County. Olin was established about 1890. The community was served by a post office from 1898 to 1908, when the mail was ordered to Hico. Louis D. Gordon ran the first post office in his barbershop. Olin kept horses for the Hamilton-Hico mail and passenger hack. Between 1900 and 1910 Olin had a telephone exchange, a store, a cotton gin, two churches, and a school. When the school burned in the fall of 1938 it was never rebuilt. Students were bused to Hamilton, Carlton, or Hico. The population in 1950 was forty, and in 1954 Olin had two businesses and one church. In 1965 the community had no businesses and a population of forty. By 1970 the population was twelve. In the late 1980s Olin had a church and one business, and in 1990 the population was twelve. The population remained the same in 2000.
Oran J. Pool, A History of Hamilton County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "OLIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno13), accessed August 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.