PETTY, TX (LYNN COUNTY)
PETTY, TEXAS (Lynn County). Petty is at the intersection of Farm roads 1328 and 1317, eighteen miles northwest of Tahoka in northwestern Lynn County. It developed around 1900 as a result of the ranching and farming operations of W. T. (Bill) Petty, a Lynn County pioneer rancher and the manager of the T Bar Ranch. In 1917 a school district was formed, but growth was slow. By 1948 Petty had four businesses, a school, and a population of thirty. Its population was estimated at 100 in 1960. In 1974 the only remaining business was a cotton gin. From 1972 to 2000 the population of Petty was estimated at twenty-four.
Donald R. Abbe, The History of Lynn County (M.A. thesis, Texas Tech University, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Donald R. Abbe, "PETTY, TX (LYNN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp24), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.