POLAR, TEXAS. Polar is on Farm Road 1142 in extreme southwest Kent County, four miles north of the Scurry county line and three miles east of the Garza county line. The settlement was the site of a long-standing postal station which existed from October 6, 1906, until May 19, 1951, when it was moved to Dumont; Florence A. Bean was the first postmaster. The town was named after Polar Singletary, daughter of the county commissioner, S. H. Singletary. Early in the twentieth century there were about twenty farm families in the community; they were served by the Polar school until enrollment dropped during the Great Depression as farmers left, and the school was consolidated with that in Jayton. The village reported one business and a population of ten in the early 1950s. A community building was present in the 1970s. Polar remained on county maps of the 1980s, shown as an isolated site connected to the north and east by gravel roads.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "POLAR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp47), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.