PRAIRIE POINT, TX (COOKE COUNTY)
PRAIRIE POINT, TEXAS (Cooke County). Prairie Point is on Farm Road 992 twenty miles southwest of Gainesville and a mile east of the Montague county line in southwestern Cooke County. In the mid-1850s a schoolhouse was built on a hill that overlooked the surrounding prairie and provided the name for the community. In 1920 Prairie Point and nearby Rosston consolidated their schools and built a new building that is equidistant between the two communities; the area was called the Ross Point School District. In 1936 Prairie Point had a school, a factory, one business, and scattered dwellings. From the 1930s through the 1960s the population was estimated at twenty-five. By 1968 it had grown to thirty. In 1978 county maps showed that Prairie Point had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1990 the population was still estimated at thirty.
Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948. A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "PRAIRIE POINT, TX (COOKE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp53), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.