PULLMAN, TEXAS. Pullman, seven miles east of downtown Amarillo in southern Potter County, became a station on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in 1887. It was reputedly named for a Pullman car that housed part of the construction crew for the line. J. V. Pottinger, a local well driller, built a three-room dugout near the switch in 1888. Other families soon followed. Between 1920 and 1940 Pullman had a store and twenty residents. Pullman reported a population of thirty-one and no businesses in 1984. Since the community's founding, its mail has been routed through Amarillo. In 1990 the population was thirty-one. The population remained the same in 2000.
Della Tyler Key, In the Cattle Country: History of Potter County, 1887–1966 (Amarillo: Tyler-Berkley, 1961; 2d ed., Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1972). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "PULLMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp59), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.