RHONESBORO, TEXAS. Rhonesboro, at the junction of State Highway 154 and Farm Road 1002, twelve miles west of Gilmer in western Upshur County, was established around 1900 as a stop on the Marshall and East Texas Railway. A post office opened there in 1902, and by 1914 Rhonesboro had a cotton gin, Baptist and Methodist churches, a bank, five general stores, a blacksmith shop, and an estimated population of 300. During the 1920s, however, the town began to decline. By the mid-1930s it had only a church, two stores, and an estimated population of 255. The decline continued after World War II. The post office was closed, and by the mid-1960s only a church, a store, a service station, and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Rhonesboro was a dispersed community with an estimated population of forty.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "RHONESBORO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr25), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on August 20, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.