SINGLETON, TEXAS. Singleton is on State Highway 90, U.S. Highway 39, and the Burlington-Rock Island line eleven miles north of Anderson in east central Grimes County. It was founded about 1900, when farm families in the vicinity of Cat and Sulphur creeks moved to a newly constructed line of the International and Great Northern Railroad. The area had first been settled during the 1830s by slaveholding Anglo-American immigrants, but the Singleton community did not form until the arrival of the railroad. A post office was established in 1902, and the town was named in honor of railroad surveyor E. P. Singleton. In 1907 a second rail line was extended through the townsite by the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway. A Baptist congregation was organized and secured a meetinghouse at Union Hill, northeast of the settlement. About 1913 a two-story frame school building was constructed, initially accommodating about 150 pupils. In 1921 the Pure Oil Company opened a pumping station, known as Polk Station, on the railroad three miles north of town, and the next year Sinclair Oil constructed a second within the townsite itself; these stations were abandoned in the early 1950s. At the peak of its growth in the 1920s the town had a large railroad freight platform, four stores, and two boardinghouses. In 1915 the population of Singleton was 100, and it was about 150 by 1936, when there were five accredited businesses reported there. The population declined rapidly after World War II, falling to an estimated twenty in 1949. In 1961 the town reported an estimated fifty residents and one rated business. The population continued at this level for decades, and by 1990 Singleton reported an estimated forty people and no rated businesses. In 2000 the population was forty-four.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.