STAR, TEXAS. Star is on U.S. Highway 84, Farm Road 1047, and North Simms Creek, near the Hamilton county line in east central Mills County. It was laid out by Alec Street in the mid-1880s and named for nearby Star Mountain. Calvin Skinner was the first postmaster when Star was granted a post office in 1886, and Alec Street ran a store and a gin. Star had a school in its early days but did not build a permanent church until 1905, when the town reached the zenith of its prosperity. A bank, established in 1910, closed after a robbery in the 1920s. In 1944 Star had eight businesses and a population of 171. The population in 1980 through 2000 was eighty-five.
Flora Gatlin Bowles, A No Man's Land Becomes a County (Austin: Steck, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."STAR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns79), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.