SUMMERFIELD, TX (CASTRO COUNTY)
SUMMERFIELD, TEXAS (Castro County). Summerfield is at the junction of U.S. Highway 60 and Farm Road 1057, eighteen miles northwest of Dimmitt in northwestern Castro County. It was established in the late 1890s on the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway and was known as Boom until 1907, when postal authorities found that there was already a town in Texas by that name. The site was then renamed in honor of John S. Summerfield. As a surveyor for the Gunter and Munson firm in Sherman during the 1880s, Summerfield had helped mark the boundaries of the XIT Ranch, which enclosed the townsite. A school was held in the dugout home of E. C. Millet until 1902, when a one-room schoolhouse was built. Because of the unusual location of the community near the junction of three counties, the first teacher, Miss Lenna Green, taught in Castro County, boarded in Parmer County, and drew her salary from Deaf Smith County. In 1902 the International Land Company of Chicago bought the town section and offered a building site plus some money to any congregation that would build a church. The Baptists agreed to the task, but the Methodists aided in the project. For years the building was used by several communions for individual church services and a union Sunday school. The first post office was in the home of N. A. Laughlin, whose wife acted as postmistress. Summerfield endured prairie fires, blizzards, and drought to become a local market for the ranches and farms along Castro Creek. A brick school building with three classrooms and an auditorium was erected in 1921. By 1940 the community had a general store and a population of seventy-five. After the school district was consolidated with that of Hereford in 1947, the schoolhouse was turned into a community center. Though Summerfield never had the boom that its founders hoped for, in 1986 it had a Baptist church, a post office, the community building, two stores, and a grain elevator. In 1990 it reported a population of sixty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Castro County Historical Commission, Castro County, 1891–1981 (Dallas: Taylor, 1981). Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People (Hereford, Texas: Deaf Smith County Historical Society, 1982). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, H. Allen Anderson, "Summerfield, TX (Castro County)," accessed February 13, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns99.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles