SYLVESTER, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)
SYLVESTER, TEXAS (Trinity County). Sylvester, also known as Sylvester Springs, was a farming community four miles northeast of Groveton in central Trinity County. It was named for the Sylvester family, who moved from Sumpter to the site near a small spring sometime after the Civil War. Around 1900 Sylvester had a one-room school and church. During the 1930s many families moved out of the area seeking work in the larger cities. Around 1940 the church was disbanded, and the school was consolidated with that of Groveton. During the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SYLVESTER, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnsky), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.