TARPLEY, TEXAS. Tarpley is at the junction of Farm roads 462 and 470, on Williams Creek twelve miles southwest of Bandera in south central Bandera County. In 1878 a post office named Hondo Cañon opened on Williams Creek. In 1899 it was moved several miles south and renamed Tarpley after Tarpley Prickett, the son of postmaster John Prickett. That year the Buckner family began renting rooms in their home to travelers. By 1900 a store and a smithy were attached to the post office. In 1902 a school was built, and later a Baptist church was erected. Tarpley had a population estimated at twenty-five in 1925 and forty in 1984. In 1990 it was thirty. The population remained the same in 2000.
J. Marvin Hunter, One Hundred Years in Bandera, 1853–1953 (Bandera, Texas: Hunter's Printing, 1953). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ann Graham Gaines, "TARPLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnt05), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.