TWICHELL, TEXAS. Twichell, on State Highway 15 in northern Ochiltree County, was founded as a stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway in 1919. It was named after Ginery Twichell, president of the railroad. In 1940 Twichell had a store, a school, and twenty-five residents. By 1960 it had a store, a grain elevator, and fifty residents. Only the elevator and railroad depot remained in 1980, when Twichell listed twenty-two residents. Mail was received from Perryton, five miles to the southwest, and students were bused to school there. The Perryton-Ochiltree County Airport was nearby. In 1990 twenty-two residents were still reported.
Wheatheart of the Plains: An Early History of Ochiltree County (Perryton, Texas: Ochiltree County Historical Survey Committee, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "TWICHELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnt39), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles