WARE, TEXAS. Ware was thirteen miles northwest of Dalhart in southern Dallam County. It began as a station on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway and was marked out in 1906–07 by the enterprising colonizer William P. Soash. Soash erected a frame hotel, which became Ware's most conspicuous feature. Although he never used Ware as a headquarters, Soash promoted the community in his advertising campaigns to attract prospective settlers. In 1947 Ware had a population of twenty, served by a school and store. Since that time the community has disappeared, though signs on U.S. Highway 87 still point out the site.
David B. Gracy II, "Selling the Future: A Biography of William Pulver Soash," Panhandle-Plains Historical Review 50 (1977). Lillie Mae Hunter, The Book of Years: A History of Dallam and Hartley Counties (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "WARE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw17), accessed July 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.