Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon

AMES, TX (CORYELL COUNTY)

AMES, TEXAS (Coryell County). Ames is on State Highway 36 eight miles northwest of Gatesville in north central Coryell County. It was originally located on the Leon River two miles to the south, but moved closer to the highway. The community was probably named for William Ames, an early settler. In 1889 the Methodist church, which had been located next to the cemetery, was rebuilt near the center of the settlement. It was originally called Union Grove and later known as the Ames Methodist Church. The Ames post office opened in 1893 and was housed in the community store, whose successive proprietors served as postmaster. The church, store, and a school named Enterprise were all located together and stood on land belonging to the Liljeblad family.

Ames acquired telephone service in 1905. At one time it had two switchboards, one of which was used especially to call across the Leon River to Ater and Levita. The community also had a gin and a shop. Electricity reached Ames in 1941. The school, which had been served by two teachers, closed in the early 1940s, and the children were bused to Gatesville. The post office was discontinued in 1957, the same year that the church disbanded. Most members transferred to a church in Jonesboro. The Ames school and the church were torn down, and the store seems to have closed by the early 1960s. Weaver's Chapel Cemetery, the second cemetery established for the community, was still accessible off Highway 36 in the late 1980s. Ames reported a population of ten in 1896 and twenty-five from 1925 through 1967. Still living on or near their ancestors' original land holdings in the late 1980s were descendants of the Liljeblad, Wilson, Wilhelm, Quicksall, Coward, Bell, Yows, and Byrom families. In 2000 the population was ten.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
Doris A. Coward

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, Doris A. Coward, "Ames, TX (Coryell County)," accessed July 24, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra35.

Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Texas AlmanacFor more information about towns and counties including physical features, statistics, weather, maps and much more, visit the Town Database on TexasAlmanac.com!