ANCHORAGE, TEXAS. Anchorage is just east of Ranch Road 2504 and fourteen miles northwest of Pleasanton in west central Atascosa County. In 1889 Scottish seaman Thomas Whittet bought 200 acres of land there from Francisco de la Garza and was granted a post office, which he called Anchorage because he had "anchored" there. In 1890 the town had a general store. By 1896 the population was recorded as fifteen, and the town had two general stores and one gin. The population increased to 120 by 1914 and included a physician, Mrs. M. J. Whittet. Anchorage was listed as having one business in 1933. The post office was closed in 1935. In the 1940s the town had a cemetery, a church, a factory, and a few scattered dwellings. The factory no longer appeared on maps in the 1960s. In 1990 the site of Anchorage was marked on state highway maps, but without further information.
Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "ANCHORAGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra40), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.