AUDELIA, TEXAS. Audelia was at the intersection of Forest Lane and Audelia Road, three miles south of present Richardson within the present Dallas city limits in northeastern Dallas County. The first settlers in the Audelia area were the family members of James E. Jackson of Tennessee; his family received a land grant in the Peters colony in 1842. The area around their homestead became known as Ardelia, after Jackson's daughter, but the name was later changed to Audelia. Although the area was settled in the 1840s, it was not recognized as a community until the 1870s. In October 1899 Audelia received a post office, which opened in a general store at the intersection of Audelia Road and Forest Lane. Its first postmaster was the store's merchant, Junius T. Rhoton. In addition to the post office, Audelia had a cotton gin and a school in 1900. The post office remained in Audelia until January 1904, when it was moved to Richardson. By 1915 Audelia had a population of twenty and by 1940 a population of thirty-five, a store, and a church. In 1981 Audelia was in Dallas.
Margaret Johnston, "Audelia," Elm Fork Echoes, November 1984. David S. Switzer, It's Our Dallas County (Dallas: Switzer, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "AUDELIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra64), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.