ADINA, TEXAS. Adina is a rural community four miles north of Farm Road 696 and four miles west of Farm Road 122 in northwestern Lee County. The area was first settled after the Civil War. R. L. Cain, an early settler, donated five acres for a school and cemetery, and for a time the community was known as Cain School House. In 1895 the town received a post office, and the name was changed to Adina, after a character in a novel Cain was reading at the time. In 1896 the population was estimated at forty, and just after the turn of the century the town had a school, a store, a blacksmith shop, and a cotton gin. After 1905 many residents began to move to larger towns, and in 1908 the post office was closed. In the mid-1930s the school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings marked the site. The school continued to operate until 1945, when it was consolidated with the Lexington school district. The school district later deeded the land and the old school building to the Adina Christian Church. In 1982 only the church and a nearby cemetery remained at Adina.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ADINA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra86), accessed July 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.