BROGADO, TEXAS. Brogado is on Sandia Creek and U.S. Highway 290 a mile northeast of Balmorhea in southwestern Reeves County. It was founded before 1880 by Mexican farmers who were drawn to the area by the abundant springwater. A Brogado post office operated in an adobe building from 1894 until 1918. A public school with twenty-four students and one teacher was in session in 1897. The settlement was named for a visiting priest, Father Brogado, who was revered by the people of the parish. In the 1990s Brogado remained a farming community with a store. At the heart of the settlement stood its old Catholic church and cemetery. Brogado reported a population of 122 in 1990.
Alton Hughes, Pecos: A History of the Pioneer West (Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1978). Pecos County Historical Commission, Pecos County History (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julia Cauble Smith, "BROGADO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb56), accessed October 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.