BUCHEL, TEXAS. Buchel is on U.S. Highway 183 five miles north of Cuero in eastern DeWitt County. The Buchel school, named for Otto Buchel, on whose land it was built, was established in 1894 and operated until 1950. The Oakville Sunday school, organized in 1894, met in the school building. The 1936 county highway map shows a church at the site, and the 1965 map shows a community center and cemeteries as well. A San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway depot ten miles southwest of Buchel, midway between Cuero and Yorktown, was also named Buchel and was used for shipping cattle between 1880 and 1930. In 2000 the population was forty-five.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "BUCHEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb59), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.