BROWN, TEXAS. Brown, on Farm Road 2212 in northeastern Martin County, was probably named for Bain Brown, who settled in the area in 1905. A rural school district was organized there in 1917, and the first school building was constructed in 1922. It was consolidated with the Flower Grove school during the late 1940s. For a time a cotton gin was at a site across the street from the school. Lutisia Nichols served the community as midwife and doctor. A church was built at the community in 1936, and the grocery store was torn down in 1978.
Vernen Liles, Pioneering on the Plains: The History of Martin County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1953). Martin County Historical Commission, Martin County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "BROWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb72), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.