BUCKHORN, TX (FRIO COUNTY)
BUCKHORN, TEXAS (Frio County). Buckhorn was a frontier community a half mile north of what is now Farm Road 1582 and eight miles southeast of Pearsall in southeast central Frio County. In 1913 Frio County school trustees formed a 3,200-acre school district in the southeastern part of the county. The eight-grade school at Buckhorn served the western half of this district, and the school at Shallow Wells its eastern half. Later the school district was parceled into 300-acre farms. Purchasers of the farms joined the families in the area to form the nucleus of Buckhorn. Longtime resident R. F. Foster provided three acres near the school as a site for a Methodist church. By 1929 three dwellings were near the church and school, and the site was surrounded by numerous farms. All that remained of Buckhorn in 1948 was a cemetery and a few dwellings. In 1964 only its cemetery remained. During the early 1990s several descendants of Foster and of John Wesley Devilbiss lived in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "BUCKHORN, TX (FRIO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbbj), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles