CALEDONIA, TEXAS. Caledonia is nine miles east of Mount Enterprise in extreme southeastern Rusk County. Thomas Williams and William Elliott received land grants there in 1828. A post office was established in Caledonia in 1851, with Sam T. Allen as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1866, reestablished in 1870, and discontinued again in 1905. In 1883 the community reported a population of 150, three steam gristmills, a cotton gin, five churches, and a school. Cotton was the principal product of Caledonia. By 1892 the population had declined to fifty, but by 1896 it had risen to 100. In 1944 Caledonia had a population estimated at twenty-five, and in 1990 it was still listed as a community. In 2000 the population was seventy-five.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "CALEDONIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc05), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles