CARLISLE, TX (LUBBOCK COUNTY)
CARLISLE, TEXAS (Lubbock County). Carlisle is on State Highway 114 and the Santa Fe Railroad three miles east of Reese Air Force Base and five miles west of Lubbock in west central Lubbock County. It was named for rancher W. A. Carlisle and grew up around a school in the early twentieth century. A congregation of the Church of Christ met there from 1918 to 1923. By 1927 the Carlisle school was one of twenty-six rural educational districts in the county. Carlisle combined with Hurlwood, Wolfforth, and Foster to form the Frenship Rural School District in 1935. The town had two stores and was known as the site of the largest vineyard in Northwest Texas during the 1940s. In 1983 Carlisle was still listed as a community, but on January 27, 1984, it was annexed to Lubbock.
Virginia Hufstedler, A Study of the Activities of the Church of Christ in Lubbock County from 1890 to 1925 (M.A. thesis, Texas Technological College, 1933). Mary Louise McDonald, The History of Lubbock County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "CARLISLE, TX (LUBBOCK COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc23), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.