CLINTON, TX (HUNT COUNTY)
CLINTON, TEXAS (Hunt County). Clinton is on Farm Road 3211 eight miles west-southwest of Greenville in west central Hunt County. It was established on land sold by J. M. Massey for five dollars to the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, which built through the area in 1887. Massey sold his land to the railroad on condition that a depot for a town be constructed on the property within five years of the sale date in 1887. The depot, named Clinton after an official of the line, was built the same year. A post office began operation in Clinton in 1888 and remained open until sometime after 1930, perhaps as late as the 1950s. In 1904 the community reported 138 residents. The population fell, however, from 100 in 1910 to eighty-eight in 1933, when the community had six businesses. By 1965, when the last population figures were reported, Clinton's population was thirty.
W. Walworth Harrison, History of Greenville and Hunt County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "CLINTON, TX (HUNT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc71), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles