CONCORD, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)
CONCORD, TEXAS (Cherokee County). Concord is six miles north of New Summerfield in extreme northeastern Cherokee County. The town is thought to have been named by early settlers from Concord, Massachusetts. According to local historians, Concord was settled by the Martin family from Tennessee around 1850. In the 1930s and 1940s Concord was on a mail route from Jacksonville. It recorded a business and twenty residents in 1930 and two businesses, three churches, and fifty residents in 1940. The Concord school was established in 1884 and was consolidated with the Carlisle Independent School District in 1948. In 1987 Concord was reported to have two churches, two businesses, and ninety-seven families. In 2000 the population was fifty. Concord was on a mail route from Troup.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tracy Don Sears, "CONCORD, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc85), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.